Sunday, July 21, 2013

WEIO 2013








© 2013 Ash Adams

For the past several days, I had the privilege of photographing the 2013 World Eskimo-Indian Olympics in Fairbanks, Alaska. Competitors from all over the world and especially the North gather during WEIO to compete in events that display the skills needed to survive in the arctic; the games test strength, agility, and flexibility in high jumps, long reaches, and strong pulls. Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and neighbors all cheer the participants on, telling them when their jumps were too high, or their feet too flexed. But that's an important thing about WEIO; much like Native culture, it's a community event. This year was also a record-setter: Tim Field of Noorvik broke the world record for the highest one foot high kick (Canadian Style) on Saturday night, kicking an astonishing 9'9"--just shorter than a professional basketball hoop. The stadium exploded with raw energy.

This was my first WEIO, and it was magical--I hope my photographs show it. The display of athleticism, sportsmanship, community, culture, and family was a powerful thing to witness. That the athletes allowed me to be part of their inner circles and games day in and day out, that they would run to look on the back of the camera to see how their form was while practicing, added a dimension to this shoot that I didn't anticipate. I left the event feeling deeply moved and touched. My cultural ties are almost nonexistent, and to see culture that is this alive, thriving, and drumming, supporting one other to jump higher and reach further, is beautiful.

To see more of my photos from the week, check out the Alaska Dispatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment